Sunday, 2 November 2008
Halal restaurants in Vientiane & Yangon
Image from http://www.pbase.com/droonsta/phonsavan
I have a friend whose goal (one of his goals) is to visit all Air Asia destinations. So, he’ll try to plan his holidays around Air Asia ‘free seats’ promotions. I think he has managed to visit most of the destinations already. Fortunately for him he has no problem with food as he can eat whatever he pleases (he’s a non-muslim),
For me, I love to do the same (I mean visiting as many countries as possible) and of course if halal food is easily available it will be great :-) …if not, I guess I have to pack loads of instant noodles ha ha.
Now with Air Asia, most of us can visit countries like Laos & Myanmar n cross them from our 'to visit' list :-)
LAOS – Vientiane:
Image from http://sidewalkshoes.blogspot.com/2007/10/whb-i-love-larb.html
Excerpt from http://laovoices.com/2008/01/12/sayo-laos-magazine-interview-muslims-of-vientiane/1884/
Question: What is it like for Muslims living in Laos?
There are Pakistan Muslim, India Muslim, and Khmer Muslim; the majority live in Vientiane. Each group gets along as we often help each other. We have two Congregational Mosque, one for Pakistan Muslim behind the central Nam Phu Fountain. The building is constructed in neo-Moghul style, with a typically South Asian miniature minaret and speakers to broadcast the call to prayer to the faithful. Then there is another one for the Khmer Muslim near the market of Norng Dorngk. Read more about Muslims of Vientiane here.
Muslims in Laos are divided into 2 groups; one group is Pakistan from Karachi, and the other group is from Balochod (not sure of spelling), which is not too far from Karachi, approximately 3 hours by car. But right now, we are the fourth generation, the first generation came to Laos approximately in 1800s, which was over 200 years ago and right now, we have about 500 Muslims living in Laos.
HALAL / VEGETARIAN RESTAURANTS IN VIENTIANE:
2. Khyber Pass http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Soc/soc.culture.laos/2005-09/msg01005.html
HOTEL WITH VEGETARIAN MENU –
1. Novotel Vientiane Hotel - http://www.agoda.com/asia/laos/vientiane/novotel_vientiane_hotel.html
RESTAURANTS WITH VEGETARIAN MENU –
1. Makphet http://www.vegdining.com/GetRest.cfm?rk=LAO-VIEN-MAKPH
2. Sticky Fingers http://www.sep-lay.com/list.php?S=1&F=1
3. Lotus http://somsavath.com/lotus/
4. Kua Lao http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/asia/laos/vientiane/restaurant-detail.html?vid=1154654637304
9. http://www.smarttravelasia.com/laos.htm - vegetarian
10. http://www.travelfish.org/eatandmeet/laos/vientiane_and_surrounds/vientiane/vientiane/eat – vegetarian buffet
11. http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6451 – vegetarian buffet
MYANMAR – Yangon:
Image from http://fisherwy.blogspot.com/2007/05/national-dish-of-myanmar.html
HOTEL WITH HALAL RESTAURANT –
1. Micasa Yangon Apartment http://www.asiatravel.com/myanmar/yangon/MicasaYangonApartment/facilities.html
HALAL / VEGETARIAN RESTAURANTS:
1. With food review http://kyspeaks.com/2005/07/
RESTAURANTS WITH VEGETARIAN MENUS
1. Raj http://www.myanmar.com/myanmartimes/MyanmarTimes12-236/dis13.htm
Image from http://www.sacred-destinations.com/burma/yangon-shwedagon-pagoda.htm