Just got back from dinner with my bf and his family at his sis's house. Last night we had dinner with his mom.
Well tonight instead of just eat I decided I should bring something, so off I went to Cold Storage at 1-Utama at 4pm to buy chicken and stuff for chicken rendang.
Came back and started cooking. I thought I should jot it down, so next time I know whether people are over charging me or not when I buy from them.
Chicken RM22 (2kg)
Rendang spices (RM10)
Daun Kunyit (RM0.99
Daun Limau purut (RM0.99)
Coconut (3 whole coconut - grated) RM5.40
Total: RM40.00 + gas (2.5 hr) + water + electricity + car fuel (Sri D'sara-1-Utama-Sri D'sara) + parking (RM1) + tol + labour
Anyway back to Chinese New Year story - as usual his mom cooked for reunion dinner but only me, my bf and his bro family were there as the rest had their dinner with their in-laws. Dishes? of course everything that has auspicious meaning to invite the new year.
Tonight at his sis's house, my rendang was a hit! Ha ha. Felt very much welcome, his nephew missed me and he was so glad to see me that he hugged me to the delights of everyone.
I think I made a good decision of cooking the rendang and brought some mangoes to his sis's house.
As usual both my bf & I received angpow from his married siblings and mom. But tonight we had to leave early (as per previous years we stayed and chit chatted while others played mahjong til 1am or 2am) as his client invited him (or rather insisted) that my bf pay him a visit.
Ohh I received oranges and pineapple tart too. DELICIOUS.
Other options for chinese new year dishes:
Udang Masak Kelio
Sumber: Buku Pandai Memasak http://resepi.mesra.net/Detailed/2424.shtml
600 g udang
8 biji cili merah ]
2 ulas bawang putih ] digiling
8 ulas bawang merah ]
2 sm kunyit hidup ] 1½ biji kelapa - ambil santan pekat
3 batang serai - dititik
3 keping asam gelugur
3 helai duan limau purut
Garam, minyak untuk menumis
Tumiskan bahan-bahan giling sampai garing, lama sedikit baru masukkan santan. Biarkan sampai pekat baru masukkan udang, serai dan daun limau purut. Masak sampai kering.
Sambal Udang Kerisik
1 sudu besar kerisik
1 cawan santan pekat
1 biji bawang besar - dikisar
4ulas bawang putih - dikisar
3 - 4 sudu besar cili giling
garam secukup rasa
1. Panaskan minyak dan tumis bawang besar dan bawang putih hingga naik baunya.
2. Masukkan gili giling, kacau dan biarkan hingga pecah minyak.
3. Masukkan udang, kerisik dan santan dan biarkan mendidih.
4. Setelah kuahnya agak kering, masukkan garam secukup rasa. Kacau rata.
5. Tutup api, angkat dan bolehlah dihidangkan.
Ayam Masak Merah
1 ekor ayam--dipotong kecil
1 tin kecil tomato puri
1 biji kelapa--ambil santan pekat
3 btg serai
4 inci lengkuas
2 inic halia
15 ulas bawang merah
2 sudu besar serbuk kunyit
200 gm minyak masak
Garam dan gula secukup rasa
Goreng ayam separuh masak. Angkat dan tos minyaknye
Tumis bawang putih, bawang merah dan halia sehingga garing. Then masukkan tomato puri dan goreng sehingga naik bau
Masukkan santan, serai, lengkuas dan biarkan kuah pekat.
Masukkan garam dan serbuk perasa secukup rasa
Last sekali, masukkan ayam yg telah digoreng. Biarkan ia empuk barulah angkat
Note: Kalau nak pedas, boleh letak cili kisar
Kari Ayam Kapitan :
* 10 dried chillies - soaked and remove seeds
* 10 red chillies
* 4 onions
* 1 bulb garlic
* 1 thumb size tumeric
* 6 candlenuts
* 6 lemongrass
* 1 piece belacan
Blend them into a paste and fry with oil till fragrant. Add in one chicken (about 1.2kg, cut into 6 huge chunks). Simmer and add coconut milk and lime juice. Season with a bit of sugar and salt.
Just before serving, slice kaffir lime leaves and sprinkle on the chicken.
* 4 tbs oil
* 2 tsp mustard seed
* 2 large onions, quartered
* 1 chicken cut into 12 bite sized pieces
* 4 potatoes, quartered
* 3 red chilies, sliced lengthwise
* 2 tsp thick soy sauce
* 2 tsp salt
* 2-3tsp water
* 1 tsp pepper
* Vinegar and sugar to taste
* 1 1/2 tsp salt
Blend into a fine paste:
* 10 fresh chilies
* 12 dried chilies soaked in warm water for 20 mins and drained, throw away the seeds
* 15 small red shallots, peeled
* 6 cloves garlic, peeled
* 2 cm fresh turmeric, skinned
* 2 cm fresh ginger, skinned
* 5 candlenuts
* 5 tsp water
1. Heat oil in a wok over medium fire.
2. Stir fry the mustard seeds until they pop.
3. Add blended ingredients into the hot pan, stirring 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
4. Add quartered onions, potatoes and fresh chilies. Stir for about five minutes.
5. Add chicken, soya sauce, salt and water. Turn fire to low and simmer for about 30 minutes. Stirring all the time.